Thursday, September 10, 2009

Painting updates and frustrations




Nothing fully dried since last night. I tried to put in the last of the background since that color is starting to dry out on my palette. I might not have brought the shoulder down enough. With the background it's ok if it comes in too far but if it's not in far enough I have to mix the color again and it's really hard to get that exact color twice. I included a few detail shots in this. I even painted the edges of the canvas with the background color, because I'm not sure if I'm going to frame this or not. I just wanted to keep the options open. I'm really getting frustrated though because again I'm waiting for it to try and I'll know the edge will probably take a few days. At least the rest of it will be able to dry in that time. Meanwhile I have nothing to work on. I think I'll either start a drawing or another painting so I have something to work on while I'm waiting for this to dry. Before it was I felt like I had no time, now I feel like I have the time but I can't work because I'm waiting for something to dry. If I try to go wet on wet I just end up getting an awful gray looking mud color. I'm seriously considering trying acyrlics again, I might try to find the proper place to post a comparsion thread on Wet Canvas, or maybe I'll search for a post that may have already been posted. I think I'm going to look through reference photos when I'm done with this and see about starting something new tomorrow while I wait for things to dry. Still working on something else doesn't solve my main problem of wanting to finish this, and of course I really don't like working on two projects at once. I just usually can't split the focus and end up neglecting the one project.

1 comment:

Melita said...

i think it looks great. i can't draw and i always had such a hard time with faces in art classes. yours looks really great!!