Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Artistic Identity

Right now I'm trying to figure out who I am and where I want to go as an artist. I have so many ideas floating around in my head. I'd love to do some more drawings of my daughter from photos I've taken. I have a few more conceptual ideas I'd like to work with, I'll have to use myself as a model, so basically more self portraits. I also have this relatively new idea of working with some Disney images. I really love the work from the Art of Disney store, and I even have a few reference photos that would be vaguely reminiscent of Garmash, but of course would have my personal style. I even have a few reference photos of architecture and and sculptures that I could use in creating work. Of course all of that requires permission to use the recognizable imagery. And I'll be going to Disney World again soon, so I'll be taking more photos and will probably find a few that I want to use in my art. I used to have the dream of becoming a Disney animator, but really I don't think that's possible for me right now. I think combining that first love of Disney and Disney animation with my love of realistic portraiture might be the way to go for me. I think maybe I should just explore all of these outlets and see where it leads me. Also I do plan on buying some acrylic paint so that I can try my hand at painting again. I have oils but I think my style and method of working may be better suited to acrylics.
One thing is for sure, I need to start working more often and for longer periods of time, and I need to get a nice set of acrylic paint to start out with. Then I can just start working on all my ideas, maybe even get to the point where I can work on more than one piece at a time.

No comments: