Friday, March 26, 2010

Progress, panic and rationality

I've gone from ready to cry, to rationally trying to figure out how to fix this. I just realized way too late that the reason why the forehead and left side of the face looks off is because of the finger. I'm not sure if I can shift the whole finger up, because too me it looks to far up compared with the ring. Compared with the ring and the hand it looks like it should be shifted down. Part of me just wants to cry rip this up and start over. Another part of me want to salvage what I have. I could fix the angle of the finger to look right with the hand or leave it it as is. Then just try to add an eye brow, maybe even take a second reference photo to realistically show how this would look with the finger in that position.I'm not sure though. I don't want to just throw out a month's worth of progress and start over. I love how the eye looks. I almost want to just crop out the second ring, but I really want that ring in the composition. Then I think maybe some creative angular cropping, but I don't think that would work. I don't know maybe I could crop it at angle on the left side of the face but rather than blank space try to input some of the beading from the jewelery box. That might be interesting if I can cover up what I already have down. It would also help tie it to my previous piece. I'm really liking that idea if I could pull it off.
I need to think on it though and come back to this, maybe get some input.

**A bit of an edit, I've made a mock-up of the one idea. From the photo I have of my work so far and my last drawing. If I would follow this idea, I would straighten the finger and draw in the border over the work I've already done. The one long term problem I can see with this is that I'd have to include this border somehow in the rest of the series but I'm not sure how I feel about that. I like the design element of this but I'm not sure if it works really.

I have a third option as well. To just ignore it and finish it as is, but I think I can ignore the finger being a bit off or the missing eyebrow but I can't ignore both.

Please let me know what you think, and leave a comment.

No comments: