Saturday, May 9, 2009

New work, and maybe some website changes

I'm going to have a new piece started soon, I've been just trying to sort out some ideas the past few days. I also experimented a bit with my new oil paints, Holbein's Duo Aqua Oils. I'm actually going to work on a review of them soon. I read some reviews that I now feel were a bit misleading, but I think it's mostly because I work a bit differently than other people. Also I just read an article about the glazing technique that I've been hearing so much on the WetCanvas forum, but I'm not quite sure if that would be a good technique for me. I like a slightly thicker application. I may try it but in the end I'll go with what works best for me and gets the effect that I want.
I also read another article about enhancing your website. I'm still stuck a bit in my redesigns. I like the overall feel that I have, I like the simplicity. I think I could use a few elements added in but I don't want to over do it and have a ton of clutter. I may see if I can create downloadable price lists for prints and artwork. That way I don't have to have the prices directly with the work, and no one has to email me to get the price list. I saw a suggestion of adding a mini essay on technique or concept with the work but I like my work to speak for itself most of the time. I don't mind explaining my thought process on here or adding my story behind it to this blog, but on my website I just want the focus to be the work. I'd like to get more opinions on my site but I never really get any insight, I keep getting the same broad suggestions but there is no hint as to how I should execute it. I get told add more images to the front page, but I don't get told where or how. I've added in one image but I'm not sure where I would put more. Every place I try to add more images to ends up looking cluttered or the image ends up looking completely out of place. At this point I'm thinking maybe I need to start over, but I wouldn't know which direction to go in or how to exectue it. I don't want to work from a template I just feel that would be a step backward, since I created this from scratch through Dreamweaver.

No comments: