Monday, April 19, 2010

Loss of confidence, yet gain in inspiration

This fish is driving me crazy. I'm not really happy with the color right now. I still don't like the angle of the body. It measures out right but still the angle seems a bit off to me. I'm also trying to figure out my eye based on the fish. I'm not sure I'm doing the color justice but from a distance it doesn't look that bad. This seems to happen to me a lot; I freak out, nearly bring myself to tears then take a photo and decide it's not that bad. I think it's just my way of backing away from it. We were told to do that every now and then in high school, but I almost never do that now. I only really back away when I take the photo to critique it and talk about it here.

Anyway while I was freaking out about this drawing I took another photo of the fish, this time in my hand. I was hoping to get a new perspective on the fish, but I had a bit of inspiration. I've been trying to do a bit of a "jewelry" series, but I think I could easily move into a series based on this fish. Provided I ever want to look at it as reference object again after I finish this drawing. But if I could stand drawing it again, drawing the fish against different backgrounds might be interesting. I'm not sure though, we'll have to see how that goes. I did have some ideas left for this "jewelry" series. It's nice to entertain the idea for a bit.

Also on another note I'm debating using the gold metallic pencil I have in my set. I did a little test spot on my paper and I'm not really happy with the color or effect. I am wondering if I could get a good effect with just yellows and browns. I didn't use the metallic silver in my other drawings, so it might be good for consistency to leave it out.

For better or worse though I'm hoping to get some more work done on this drawing soon and really put a dent in it. I feel like I've spent all this time sketching for nothing. I did finally figure out the fish eye though, and start filling in the head. This piece is such a challenge I just need to be patient with myself. Though I do keep seeing my deadline coming up in the distance. I may be ahead now but I get behind so quickly.

No comments: